Porcelain veneers, Dental Veneers or Dental Porcelain Laminates are made of thin porcelain shells placed on top of your existing tooth to create the desired tooth appearance. Veneers are considered a prosthetic device that is used in cosmetic or aesthetic dentistry. It gives the dentist the ability to create a Hollywood smile by making cosmetic and orthodontic adjustments, with the help of veneers, to restore a single tooth or multiple teeth.
The dental veneers are translucent and can be customised to match your natural teeth colour, appearing very natural and real. These custom-made wafer-thin veneer shells are bonded to the front of the teeth to change their colour, size, shape and length.
Veneer teeth are made from medical-grade porcelain, ceramic or resin composite materials. Porcelain veneers tend to be the more popular choice, as they are stainless and reflect light similarly to those of regular teeth, giving you a natural bright smile.
They are permanent and are used to:
- Whiten teeth, due to discolouration or because of a root canal treatment
- Closing spaces of teeth with gaps
- Straightening crooked or misaligned teeth
- Changing the shape or length of a tooth, that is uneven or irregularly shaped
- Covering chipped or broken teeth
It usually involves 2 or more visits, depending on the complexity of your smile makeover.
- Full dental examination
- Mock up or pre-design of your new teeth and smile would be shown to you
- Teeth Preparation
- A mould impression of your teeth is taken
- Colour, design and translucency of your new teeth will be confirmed with you
- Temporary plastic veneers of the new smile will be placed to wear home
- Your custom-fitted porcelain veneers are produced in at the dental laboratory
- Porcelain veneers are bonded when you are happy with the results
Veneers are a permanent treatment, and because the porcelain veneers are especially custom made and sculpted for each patient, it is nearly impossible to see a difference between a natural and a veneered tooth. Unlike your natural teeth, veneer teeth also resist staining from coffee, tea, red wine, cigarettes and many more. An ideal candidate would need to have overall good oral health and healthy gums, as well as no missing enamel or signs of periodontal disease.
Because veneers have so many applications, patients can enjoy the benefits of teeth whitening, orthodontic treatment, and dental crowns, all in one treatment.
Porcelain veneers are a component of the Simile Makeover at The Dental Studio, Singapore. In a consultation, our dentists will discuss the best choice of veneers with you. You should also return to The Dental Studio for regular professional maintenance of the porcelain veneers, as they should be polished with a specially formulated, non-abrasive paste. With good care, veneers can last more than 10 years.