Veneers are made to fit over the front surface of a tooth. They can be used to correct deficiencies in a person’s smile, such as crooked teeth, yellow or discoloured teeth, chipped teeth, or teeth that are too short. If your teeth are too long or wide, they can be reshaped instead.
Veneers are considered a prosthetic device that is used in cosmetic or aesthetic dentistry. It gives the dentist the ability to create a Hollywood smile by making cosmetic and orthodontic adjustments to restore a single tooth or multiple teeth.
The dental veneers are translucent and can be customised to match your natural teeth colour, appearing very natural and real. These custom-made wafer-thin veneer shells are bonded to the front of the teeth to change their colour, size, shape and length.
Veneer teeth are made from medical-grade porcelain, ceramic or resin composite materials.
Porcelain veneers, Dental Veneers or Dental Porcelain Laminates are made of thin porcelain shells placed on top of your existing tooth to create the desired tooth appearance.
Porcelain veneers tend to be the more popular choice, as they are stainless and reflect light similarly to those of regular teeth, giving you a natural bright smile.
The process entails:
- Full dental examination
- Mock up or pre-design of your new teeth and smile would be shown to you
- Teeth Preparation
- A mould impression of your teeth is taken
- Colour, design and translucency of your new teeth will be confirmed with you
- Temporary plastic veneers of the new smile will be placed to wear home
- Your custom-fitted porcelain veneers are produced in at the dental laboratory
- Porcelain veneers are bonded when you are happy with the results
They are permanent and are used to:
- Whiten teeth, due to discolouration or because of a root canal treatment
- Closing spaces of teeth with gaps
- Straightening crooked or misaligned teeth
- Changing the shape or length of a tooth, that is uneven or irregularly shaped
- Covering chipped or broken teeth
It usually involves two or more visits, depending on the complexity of your smile makeover.
Veneers are a permanent treatment, and because the porcelain veneers are especially custom-made and sculpted for each patient, it is nearly impossible to see a difference between a natural and a veneered tooth. Unlike your natural teeth, veneer teeth also resist staining from coffee, tea, red wine, cigarettes and many more. An ideal candidate would need to have overall good oral health and healthy gums, as well as no missing enamel or signs of periodontal disease.
Because veneers have so many applications, patients can enjoy the benefits of teeth whitening, orthodontic treatment, and dental crowns, all in one treatment.
Porcelain veneers are a component of the Simile Makeover at The Dental Studio, Singapore. In a consultation, our dentists will discuss the best choice of veneers with you. You should also return to The Dental Studio for regular professional maintenance of the porcelain veneers, as they should be polished with a specially formulated, non-abrasive paste. With good care, veneers can last more than 10 years.
Direct Resin Veneers
The process involves adding a thin layer of resin (enamel-like, tooth colour) material to the teeth to reshape it or to close spaces and correct discolourations. It can be sculpted, hardened and polished to a high shine in one visit. Results are immediate and painless.
Maintaining Your Veneers
Porcelain veneers are beautiful and strong, but like your natural teeth, it should be taken care of.
The lifespan of the porcelain veneers will depend on the care you take. They can provide long-lasting cosmetic solutions.
- Use non-abrasive toothpaste
- Avoid biting extremely hard substances such as ice cubes, hard candy, bones, bottle caps etc
- Avoid food that can stain for instance coffee, tea, wine
- Avoid nail biting
- Wearing a mouth guard while playing contact sports or if you grind your teeth at night
- Visit your dentist for regular dental care
This is achievable with minor trimming to the shape of the tooth to improve the appearance of your smile.
A tooth that is slightly too long can be corrected through this simple smile makeover procedure to match it to the rest of your teeth.
Teeth that are too big and square can be reshaped to create a softer or more feminine appearance for female patients.
As the reshaping is done within the enamel, the process is painless and immediate.