INVISALIGN® (INVISIBLE BRACES)
What is Invisalign®
Invisalign® is an alternative treatment to straighten your teeth without the need for braces. The system in question uses 3D computer imaging technology with a series of clear removable retainers to straighten crooked teeth invisibly. It can be removed for daily necessities such as eating, drinking, brushing and special events. No metal wires or bands that irritate your mouth as they are comfortable and convenient to wear.
The process of straightening your teeth could take some time and involves: getting an examination, a proper treatment plan, a creation, wearing it, and also the whole duration of the treatment.
The process entails:
- Examination: An orthodontist would first assist you in getting an examination to consult and check whether you are suitable for Invisalign invisible braces, or conventional braces. Invisalign® is great for people who do not have severe problems or those with severely crooked teeth.
- Treatment Plan: A treatment plan would be developed specifically for you and cater to your needs.
Bite impressions of your teeth will be taken for the Invisalign® system to custom-mold a series of clear, removable aligners that will gradually move your teeth to an incredible new smile.
- Creation: Your aligners are created via precision mapping and design from the computer.
- Wearing: Fourthly, you will then receive your aligner series, and switch to a new aligner every two weeks as your teeth move.
- Treatment Duration: You would be required to wear each set of the aligners day and night for a two week period, removing them only when you want to eat, brush and floss your teeth. Your teeth will move little by little as time goes by, but your orthodontist will review the progress of it regularly. This treatment usually lasts for about a year.
Your teeth will move little by little with each aligner. Your orthodontist will review the progress of your treatment regularly. On average, treatment would last about a year.
Benefits of Invisalign Aligner
There are a few benefits that can be gained by using Invisalign clear aligners for our teeth. These include being practically invisible, removable, comfortable and also safer. The number one reason why patients are attracted to getting an Invisalign aligner over conventional braces is that they are virtually invisible. Say goodbye to all the mean chuckles and gossip about how dorky your braces look! Because with Invisalign, it provides you with the perfect shine to show off your best smile and fight against those embarrassment encounters.
Moreover, we are all aware that for traditional braces, you need to wear it on until the whole process is done. But, this also means that more work needs to be done if you accidentally have left-over food stuck somewhere in your tooth, or even worse, your metal brackets. This act as a challenge for your cleaning process and if it’s not cleaned thoroughly, it will lead to the buildup of unwanted plaque.
However, good news to patients who choose to wear Invisalign aligners as this would not be a problem for you! It will be easy for you to remove the aligner, ensure proper cleaning and make sure that there’s no plaque to damage your teeth. Another bonus benefit of having removable aligners is that you have the ability to eat whatever you want. Yes, you heard it right, anything!
Besides the pros of being removable, it is also comfortable and safer. As for traditional braces like metallic braces, it not only would cause more emergencies when you have a poking wire/broken bracket but can be very uncomfortable as well. It will continually rub against the side of your mouth and may produce irritation, discomfort, and even open sores. Invisalign on another hand boasts a smooth plastic surface that produces no discomfort around the mouth lining. Invisalign also provides a solution to solving the issue of toxic release from BPA-free plastic liners, eliminating the possible occurrence of harmful toxins.
Cons of Invisalign
Requires Excellent Cooperation
We all know the saying that there is always a room for improvement, and this applies to our Invisalign aligner as well. Excellent cooperation is required to bring out the best results for your Invisalign aligner; they need to be removed before every meal and also need frequent teeth cleaning.
Aligners Need To Be Removed Before Meals
If you didn’t follow the rules and requirements for your Invisalign aligners, the chances of the result not being as what you expected is high. As aligners need to be worn an average of 22 hours a day. Besides that, the aligners must always be removed before eating or drinking anything except for water. It probably seems like an extra process for you but it definitely helps to keep unwanted plaque from growing.
Frequent Teeth Cleaning
Last but not least, Invisalign requires a complete focus and attention to oral hygiene. A thorough brushing and flossing is a must after any type of food consumption. This may seem annoying to some of patients, but some of them gave feedback that an unexpected result of improved oral health and teeth whitening is witnessed.
Braces vs Invisalign
- Although braces could treat simple-to-complex causes
- Do not have proprietary smart-track material for more predictable and controlled tooth movements
- Is not virtually invisible
- Do not have removable aligners so you could not enjoy all the food that you love, might be hard for you to brush it away and floss
- Could have severe injuries caused if you’re not careful about your wires/brackets
- Hard to see results at every stage of your treatment
- Have to get check up regularly
- Might have a low self-esteem because of how it looks on you
Both braces and Invisalign can help in straightening our teeth but they each have their own pros and cons. For braces, they do not have proprietary smart-track material for a more predictable and controlled tooth movement, it is not virtually invisible compared to Invisalign Aligner. Braces do not provide removable aligners.
And for those food junkies out there, this might be a challenge for you as you need to think twice about having that gooey chocolate cake because the aftermath of it is that you need to pay more attention in brushing and floss away all the leftover food that might be stuck in your teeth. Besides, if you are not careful about the wires and brackets of your braces, you could get yourself into severe injuries which, that picture ain’t going to be good.
Furthermore, if you are the type of person who always gets caught up with a busy schedule and finds it hard to squeeze some time out then maybe, braces is not your ideal plan in getting one as you are required to have regular checkups, and follow up treatments for every stages that you’re going through.
To conclude, we understand that any type of method that treats malocclusion will come with its own aftermath struggle, but we hope that these pros and cons about Invisalign Aligner will help you to understand more about the whole process better and be able to make a decision.
Invisalign could be an excellent method to straighten your teeth and allow you to continue your life without having any kind of interruptions. If you think that Invisalign is the right fit for you and would like to get started on your new smile, schedule a consultation now at Invisalign Singapore!
The process entails:
1. Examination – An orthodontist should assess your suitability with a proper consultation and examination for Invisalign® or conventional braces
Invisalign® is great for people who do not have severe problems, or severely crooked teeth.
2. Treatment Plan – A treatment plan is developed specifically for you
Bite impressions of your teeth will be taken for the Invisalign® system to custom-mold a series of clear, removable aligners that will gradually move your teeth in an incredible new smile.
3. Creation – Your aligners are created via precision computer mapping and design
4. Wearing – You will receive your aligner series, switching to a new aligner every two weeks as your teeth move
5. Treatment Duration – You would need to wear each set of aligners night and day for a two weeks period, removing only to eat, brush and floss
Your teeth will move little by little with each aligner.
Your orthodontist will review the progress of your treatment regularly.
On average, treatment would last about a year.
Other types of Braces: